The Vangieri’s have become local legends in Knoxville’s entertainment industry after relocating their business here a few years ago. Joe Vangieri kicks off KEC’s new video series on local entrepreneurs, “21 Questions”, while Olivia Vangieri expands below on why they chose Knoxville. Enjoy! – joy
Top 5 Perks of Living in Knoxville for Media Startups: A Guest Blog by Olivia Vangieri
Situated in the idyllic Smoky Mountains, Knoxville, Tennessee is a truly hidden gem for local community and businesses. A vibrant city that offers live music every night, weekly farmers markets, and free plays on the town square, Knoxville proves a friendly and supportive community for entertainment startups, including our very own SoKnox Studios, DigiTrax Entertainment and Childrens’ Media Studios.
Looking for a great place to start a media company? Here are five reasons to choose Knoxville:
- Market Square. Knoxville’s historic town center, Market Square is full of things to do on any given day. Market Square is home to local restaurants, venues and great organizations, such as the Knoxville Entrepreneur Center. Market Square offers many free shows and plays on the main stage overlooking downtown. If you’re looking for something to do or a location for your business, Market Square is a great choice.
- Local Businesses. Knoxville is a city that loves local – you never have to go far to find what you need. New businesses and old see the benefits of our “make it where you sell it” movement, as locals and visitors alike flock to regional businesses for their entertainment business and media needs.
- Organizations to support local businesses. Also located in Market Square are several organizations dedicated to helping local businesses thrive. The Knoxville Entrepreneur Center is a great example of one such organization. Its mission is to “to build a community here where entrepreneurs have access to the capital, customers and talent they need to be successful.” It carries out this mission by hosting many startup accelerators such as MediaWorks. Companies that participated in the 2015 Media Works program had the opportunity of a lifetime, to pitch their big ideas in a packed room full of investors, business people and even the Mayor! Check out how the pitches went on KEC’s YouTube channel.
- Media Production. Believe it or not, Knoxville is the 3rd largest media production center in the US. Scripps Network (HGTV, Food Network, DIY, Cooking Channel), North/South Productions (a Hearst Company), Regal Cinemas, Newsbreak and several other local production companies, has put Knoxville on the map as a media center for global brands.
- Collaboration. Knoxville is a city with open arms and wide hearts. A very community-minded city, it is easy to find folks willing to help you and your business. After all, we all want the same thing: to work together and see Knoxville businesses continue to grow and succeed.
Olivia Vangieri is Marketing and PR Coordinator for Digitrax Entertainment, LLC.