What's The Big Idea? 2022 Pitch Competition
It’s here.. the 14th annual What’s The Big Idea? Pitch Competition! The event you know and love is back! We’re bringing together new mentors, new judges, new sponsorships and partnerships, new elements, and of course – new pitches..
Meet our Finalists!
The Lotus Program – Founder: Femeika Elliott
KnoxFill – Founder: Michaela Barnett
Realtyless – Founders: Brandon, Ryan, and Mariel Small
KnoxPhilharmonic – Founders: Tim Woody
SEQUENSE – Founders: Alexandra Tucker + Kimber Falkenburg
Sentinel Devices – Founder: Forrest Shriver
We hope to see you at the finale event on Sunday, March 6th at Scruffy City Hall!
Watch the livestream below! We’ll go live at 6pm on Sunday evening.
Shark Tank Meets Accelerator
Ever dreamed of being on Shark Tank? Have that great idea that your mom loves, but you haven’t told anyone else about? Know you’ve got the next big thing? “What’s The Big Idea?” is the event for you. Compete to win up to $10k in expense reimbursement. WTBI is Shark Tank meets Accelerator with $10,000 on the line.
Mentors All The Way
Work side-by-side with local business mentors to craft the perfect pitch for your new startup business or idea. We have business mentors that can help you with your business plan from start to finish from Legal, Marketing, Finance, Sales, Design, Technology, and more.
Support for your Idea
2022 Applications are now closed.
What’s the Big Idea 48 Hour Launch is an accelerator-style competition designed to inspire entrepreneurial action. The competition will bring together bright minds in early March to participate in an intensive period of prototyping, community building, planning, incubation, and launching. The winning idea will be advanced to the Knoxville Entrepreneur Center’s CO.STARTER Program and will be eligible for up to $10,000 in business-launch reimbursement costs after completing the program.
We’re excited to announce that we’re bringing back a widely popular aspect of the competition this year – Public Voting! Once all applications are submitted by February 4th, the KEC team will ask a select number of companies to submit a 2-minute pitch. Then, starting February 14th, the public will be able to vote on their favorite companies and ideas! The number of public votes a company receives will have an impact on the final teams selected for the official competition.
Who Should Apply?
- Applicants with a concept or a new enterprise in the seed-capital, start-up, or pre-revenue stage;
- Applicants who are at least 18 years of age;
- Applicants with a concept that could lead to potential growth and job creation in the Knoxville, Tennessee area*.
* Defined as being located in Knox County or a contiguous county including: Anderson, Blount, Jefferson, Grainger, Loudon, Roane, Sevier, and Union counties.
Who Shouldn’t Apply?
- Companies that are acquisitions or buy-outs;
- Companies that are expansions of existing companies;
- Companies that are considered a franchise;
- Companies that have a licensing agreement for distribution of products and services by others;
- Enterprises that have raised equity capital from sources other than direct members of the venture, their friends, or their families;
- Companies that have already won similar competitions;
- Companies that do not intend to grow in the Knoxville, Tennessee area (as defined above);
- Ideas will be judged on potential for growth and job creation.
Dates & Deadlines
- 1/12 – Applications open
- 2/4 – Applications close
- 2/13 – Video submissions due
- 2/15 – 2/21 – Public Voting Open
- 2/23 – Selection made + Finalists announced
- 3/4 – 3/6 – Competition Weekend
- 3/6 – Public Pitch Competition + Finale