Software Development Internships
KEC and KnoxDevs are excited to announce an internship program that links local companies with new local software developers. This effort is meant to help new software developers gain valuable experience while helping host companies get some projects done. This is modeled after a very successful internship program that was started by Launch Tennessee.
Details: The program will run in a semester system; spring, summer, and fall, but actual start dates can vary based on company and intern preferences. The internships are full-time, 40 hours per week for 12 weeks and the intern is paid a stipend of $6,000, with the intern acting as an independent contractor.
KnoxDevs/KEC will provide:
- Intern and company screening/vetting to ensure best possible chances of success
- Information packets provided to each party
- Regular check-ins with both intern and company during the program
- Intern contracts and payroll
Recent graduates, coding bootcamp graduates, career changers, and self-taught students are all welcome to apply. This can be a valuable learning experience, and if you are selected, we will do our best to match you with a company and situation where you will learn and succeed. While you are not expected to have a lot of experience, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to succeed as an intern. The expectation is that you have a baseline of skills that with some mentoring, you can figure things out and extend your skills. This is not an apprenticeship program where others are going to teach you to be a software developer from scratch.
- The ability to create a full-stack web application or some other related technical skill such as data science.
- Show interviewers from KnoxDevs examples of your work, such as your GitHub/BitBucket accounts, a project you’ve completed, or a project from school
- A positive attitude, willingness to learn, professionalism
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Must live in or be from the Knoxville area, or attending college in the area
- Ability to work full-time, onsite in host company office during regular business hours
- Have own laptop for use during the internship
We invite you to apply to host an intern. This is a great way to serve your community by helping someone get started in a career, and typically, the interns will provide valuable features and projects for your company. It is quite possible that it may work out to hire the intern as a full-time employee at the end of the internship.
- A Knoxville area small company or startup (Note that we hope to expand to all Knoxville companies, regardless of size soon)
- Define a specific project or general scope of work for the intern position and create a management plan
- Interview participating interns and select candidate
- Have realistic expectations. Interns are expected to be very capable and able to provide value to your company, but they will need some mentoring and ramp up time.
- Assign a supervisor/mentor that has the technical and leadership ability to help the student succeed
- Provide one half of the stipend ($3,000)
- Host companies are not guaranteed an intern. Successful placements require mutual interest from the company and the intern, as well as adherence to the timeline.
If your company has the resources, we would love for you to contribute to this project. It is a great way to serve the community by helping to develop local technical talent by assisting a new software developer in getting that first needed real-world experience that is critical in launching a new successful career. Donations are tax-deductible because KEC is a 501(c)(3).
Note: While it is possible that a donor company can have an intern now or in the future, donations do not guarantee that an intern will be placed at your company.
If your company would like to donate to this cause, please contact Jim Biggs at KEC: firstname.lastname@example.org