2019 Applications are now closed. Contestants will be chosen and contacted in the coming weeks.
What’s the Big Idea 48 Hour Launch is a weekend-long business start-up summit designed to inspire entrepreneurial action. The competition will bring together bright minds March 1-3 to participate in an intensive period of prototyping, community building, planning, incubation, and launching. The winning idea will be advanced to the Knoxville Entrepreneur Center’s CO.STARTER Program and will be eligible for up to $10,000 in business-launch reimbursement costs after completing the program.
Who Should Apply?
- Applicants with a concept or a new enterprise in the seed-capital, start-up, or pre-revenue stage;
- Applicants who are at least 18 years of age;
- Applicants with a concept that could lead to potential growth and job creation in the Knoxville, Tennessee area*.
* Defined as being located in Knox County or a contiguous county including: Anderson, Blount, Jefferson, Grainger, Loudon, Roane, Sevier, and Union counties.
Who Shouldn’t Apply?
- Companies that are acquisitions or buy-outs;
- Companies that are expansions of existing companies;
- Companies that are considered a franchise;
- Companies that have a licensing agreement for distribution of products and services by others;
- Enterprises that have raised equity capital from sources other than direct members of the venture, their friends, or their families;
- Companies that have already won similar competitions;
- Companies that do not intend to grow in the Knoxville, Tennessee area (as defined above);
- Ideas will be judged on potential for growth and job creation.
* Please read the “Official Rules” for What’s the Big Idea?!
Dates & Deadlines
- 1/16 – Applications open
- 2/6 – Applications close
- 2/13 – Selection made
- 3/1 – 3/3 – Competition
- 3/3 – Public pitch